FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you hold auditions?
No. Our choir welcomes all voices and we are about creating community through singing. We are born to sing and we want your unique voice to sing with us!
May I visit your choir before I sign up?
Absolutely. It is the best way to determine if our choir is a fit for you. You are welcome to visit us any time throughout the year, and the best times are the nights of the Open House and New Member Orientation.
The Open House is on the first night of each season at 7:00 PM with singing and mingling. The Open House is to welcome newcomers into our community, giving everyone a chance to sing with us, and get to know us.
The New Member Orientation is on the second night of each season from 6:30 - 7:00 PM. The New Member Orientation will give you an opportunity to connect with other new singers and our Creative Director. We will also briefly review logistics about the venue, season events, songs, and choir details. The regular singing session starts right after orientation.
We strongly encourage you to attend both the Open House and New Member Orientation.
What are we going to sing?
High Spirit Harmonies sings a wide variety of songs that are easy to learn. All songs are taught by ear in the oral tradition of call and response. Our repertoire includes folk songs, rounds, original compositions, and songs from around the world. The songs we sing are connected by their beauty, playfulness, inspiration, and gorgeous harmonies. As we sing, our souls become lighter, and our hearts open to joy.
When and where are the singing sessions?
• Monday evenings, 7:00 - 8:30 PM (in person)
• Wash Park Center for Music & Arts, 400 S. Williams Street, Denver
• Parking is available in the small parking lot on the NE corner of Williams and Dakota, or look for street parking on Dakota. Please do not park on Williams.
What, when and where are sectionals?
• Sectionals are an opportunity for singers to focus on their part of a song (or two) each week
• Wednesday evenings (always over Zoom, 1/2 hour for each section):
- Sopranos: 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. MT
- Tenors: 7:00 - 7:30 p.m. MT
- Altos & Basses: 7:30 - 8:00 p.m. MT
• Zoom link provided after registration & payment received
How often do we sing?
• Spring Season - 15 weeks (January - April, or early May)
• Summer Season - 8 weeks (June - July, or early August)
• Fall Season - 12 weeks (September - November, or early December)
• See details for the current season on the Home page
Do you have end of season concerts?
Concerts are currently on pause. Before COVID-19, we hosted a benefit concert at the end of the Spring and Fall Seasons, and the event at the end of the Summer Season varied.
What is the expected commitment?
We don't have any attendance requirements; we hope you will attend every week. When we are preparing for an end-of-season concert, we suggest you plan on attending each week and listen to the practice tracks to feel ready. Only if you’ve fallen behind due to frequent absences may you be asked not to perform.
What will the sessions look like?
All sessions are held in a beautiful, welcoming venue. The acoustics are great and the venue is wheelchair accessible. Doors will open 20 minutes in advance, allowing plenty of time for you to settle in and socialize. We start promptly at 7:00 PM with tuning in and warming up. At 7:50, we take an 8-10 minute break.
When can I join the choir?
The best time to join us is within the first 4 sessions of each season.
May children join the choir?
We have had children aged 10 and up join the choir. They need to be accompanied by an adult.
Is the venue wheelchair accessible?
What are the perks of singing with High Spirit Harmonies?
• Support from a warm and welcoming group of singers
• Chance to make new friends
• Opportunities to sing in public (e.g., flash mobs, singing at the Botanic Gardens, World Singing Day, holiday caroling)
• Special Events offered each season have included: full moon walk, afternoon tea, karaoke
• Extra rehearsals before each concert
I'm curious... Are there any physical and emotional benefits to singing?
Yes, there are many! Singing has been scientifically proven to benefit our bodies and our minds. Here are only a few examples of the benefits:
• Singing regulates heart rate (our hearts start to beat at the same time within minutes of singing together!)
• Singing strengthens the immune system
• Singing helps with sleep
• Singing reduces stress levels and depression
• Singing improves mental alertness
• Singing boosts your confidence
What if I can't attend on a weekly basis?
We offer a Drop-In Option. This allows you to be a member and enjoy 10 sessions spread out over a year, so you can come whenever your busy schedule permits.
Can I transfer my drop-in sessions into a season membership?
Yes. If you decide at any time you want a season membership (spring, summer, fall), you can use any remaining sessions from the Drop-In Option toward the current season's total payment.
When does the Drop-In Option expire?
One year after purchase. We keep track of attendance and will send you an email when you have either 2 sessions left, or one month before expiration, whichever comes first.
Where can I buy the Drop-In Option?
The Drop-In Option is available for purchase after you submit your online registration form.
Do you offer any discount specials?
Yes! We offer a Singing Buddies Special! When you and a friend both register for the season and one of you is new to our choir community, then you both receive a 25% discount for the season. Here's how...
When each of you registers:
1) Enter your friend's name under "My Singing Buddy's Name”
2) Select the Singing Buddies option on the payment page
How much does it cost to join High Spirit Harmonies?
• Spring Season $315
• Summer Season $185
• Fall Season $250
• Drop-in Option $275 for 10 sessions
• Annual Membership $675 (10% discount)
• Options are available for purchase after you submit your registration form
When are payments due?
Online registration and payment are due by 12:00 p.m. Mountain Time on the day of the second session (the week after Open House).
I am on a fixed income and have limited resources. What would make it possible for me to participate?
We have several options each season, including volunteer opportunities. Let's find a solution that fits best; reach out to Jennifer here.
What is your refund policy?
Let us know in writing and you will receive a refund for the remaining sessions in the season, minus a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds are given after the first four weeks of the season. There are no refunds for the Drop-In Option; however, it is transferable so you may give unused sessions to a friend. All cancellations, refunds, and transfer requests must be made in writing.